Smart City is a broad term that covers the use of technology , data and partnerships to create an urban development characterized by sustainability , innovation and citizenship.
"Smart Cities " are cities who want sustainable and attractive urban growth. Sustainable so that the negative impact of the environment is reduced in the best way . Attractive, so that the city is an asset for residents , businesses and tourists . Smart cities attracts citizens and tourists who want a safe, clean , environmentally friendly and culturally interesting city , which is the purpose of Smart City .
The technology matters:
Technology has a special role in all smart cities . It is a condition for effective solutions, example areas of transport, clean air and environmentally friendly energy supply. A smart city dependens on having a well-qualified workforce , contributing to the economy and a functioning municipal administration and a city government that effectively cooperate with other public and private companies to solve shared problems. That is why Technology have a special role in terms of Smart City.
Benefits of Smart City
- Adds more features to an existing product
- More information ( Surveillance / Big Data )
- Newer service ( HotSpot / Infrastructure)
- Reduces total cost of ownership
- Lower installation costs
- Lower production costs
- Lower maintenance costs
- Reduces Carbon Footprint
Examples of Smart City products which can be made smarter
- Road signs
- Bins / Containers
- Bicycle Stands
- The parking lights / street lights
- Smart City products can be made smarter if:
- Create and store their own power
- Avoid expensive installation costs down digging and cable installations